Wednesday, May 16

New Favorite Recipe

In order for us to save money at the grocery store, I have found that it is best for me to plan out our nightly dinners for each week BEFORE heading to the store. This has proven to be great thus far, the only tricky part is finding good, healthy, and dependable recipes. I am all over each of my cookbooks, pinterest, online food blogs, and etc.

I have had a stomach problem since I returned from my mission; if I eat the wrong thing- I am in SERIOUS pain. I have been diagnosed with candida, which means I can only eat certain things. Things that are low in sugar (preferably sugar-free, but that's gross), dairy free, white-flour free, vinegar free, and the list goes on. Those that do not really understand my stomach pain find my food regime to be a hassle, but I have figured out what is best for me. I not only eat healthy food that gives my body the energy it needs, it is always tasty, well usually.

Tonight, I struck gold with a new recipe I found online. It was DIVINE! Chicken and lime dressing with a side of smashed avocados, aka guacamole. The thing that I enjoyed about it was that nothing was processed, it was all fresh ingredients. It mostly consisted of chicken with peppers, zucchini, avocados, fresh lime/lemon juice, cilantro, slivered almonds, and green onions. I will definitely be making it again. Yum!

Enjoy.

I am not a food photographer, do not judge. 

Chicken with Lime Dressing


Lime Dressing:
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbs chopped scallions
1 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp sugar/sugar substitute (it has to say that cuz it's a diet cookbook...)
1/2 tsp salt
Combine the ingredients in a large bowl.

Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2" thickness
2 medium avocados, pitted and peeled
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
2 tsps picante sauce
1 tsp + 1 Tbs olive oil
1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
2 Tbs whole wheat flour
Combine chicken with 3 Tbs of the lime dressing. Cover and refrigerate for 10 mins.
In a medium bowl, mash the avocados with 2 Tbs of the lime dressing. Stir in the lemon juice and picante sauce. Reserve the remaining lime dressing.
Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes, or until the pepper is tender and lightly browned. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Remove to a large bowl and add the almonds. (Or, I threw the almonds in the pan with the garlic and "toasted" them that way. It smelled awesome!)
Remove the chicken from the dressing and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle flour over both sides of the chicken.
Heat the remaining 1 Tbs of oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 6 minutes on each side, or until done. Place the chicken on 4 serving plates and equally divide the pepper mixture, sprinkling over the chicken. Drizzle the reserved dressing over each serving. Serve with a side of the mashed avocados.


4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makensie, I just found your blog via FB, and I totally want to try this recipe. Looks so yummy! And I think that photo of you two in your header might be the cutest darn photo I've ever seen. Hope you are well and love your blog. What a fun way to document your newlywed days! : ) -Kari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kari! Kristi was telling me about your blog, but i forgot what it was. I want to see pics of your cute family!

      Delete
  3. Craziest thing ever... I have candida too! I was diagnosed with EVERYTHING under the sun before we finally figured it out. The best thing to happen was for me to get pregnant because now it's not so bad. I still have to be careful though and I know when I overdo it. The diet is just hard for a little while until you get used to it. I need to get back on mine. I don't wish this condition on anyone but it's nice to know there is someone else I know out there that knows about dealing with it!

    ReplyDelete